Benefits of registering and completing one or both MOBI courses:
- You’ll earn a Certificate of Completion and Digital Badge from Santa Clara University and CEDF.
- Your Certificate is recognized by CEDF as evidence of seriousness and prudent preparation by our lending department. While many other factors influence our final decision on a lending application, completion will positively impact your presentation.
- Direct access to resources for each session, including a user forum monitored by business ownership veterans including CEDF Business Advisors
- A way to measure your learning through quizzes and a final exam
- Access to additional videos featuring subject matter experts
- Access to revisit the materials as needed for reference as your business journey unfolds.
- No cost at any time for the courses contained in this platform.
Are the courses really free? Is there a catch?No catch. Always free. This is a stipulation of the philanthropist that underwrote the program and awarded it to Santa Clara University.
How long does it take to complete each course? Do I have to take the quizzes and tests?If you are really serious about risking savings, assets and time pursuing a business dream, whether it is a new venture or an expansion of your current operation, you owe it to yourself and your stakeholders (employees, family, investors and customers) to be as well-prepared as possible. In fact you have an obligation to reduce their risk. So you should certainly study all of the sessions, take the quizzes and complete any suggested activities. University representatives tell us that each session takes from one to four hours obtain a reasonable understanding of the topics. Naturally, an individual’s prior experience, attitude toward study and ability to focus will impact the time required. But these lessons may be the best and at the same time least expensive investment you can make in your future.
How will a certificate of completion help me?It shows you have seriously and prudently prepared yourself for undertaking your enterprise. If you expect a partner, a lender or other investor, or a future customer to risk their money or time in you, it is ideal to be able to demonstrate that you have taken care to master these important courses. More questions? Visit the My Own Business Institute FAQ page.
Starting a BusinessSession
1: Deciding on a Business Session
2: The Business Plan Session
3: Home Based Business Session
4: Financing the Business Session
5: Business Organization Session
6: Licenses and Permits Session
7: Business Insurance Session
8: Communication Tools Session
9: Buying a Business or Franchise Session
10: Location and Leasing Session
11: Accounting and Cash Flow Session
12: E-Commerce Session
13: Opening and Marketing Session
14: Managing Employees Session
15: Expanding and Handling Problems
1: Getting Financial Controls in Place Session
2: Getting Your Team in Place Session
3: Customer Feedback Session
4: Achieving Lowest Expenses Session
5: Develop Negotiating Skills Session
6: Alternatives for Capital Allocation Session
7: Advanced E-Commerce Session
8: Growth By Duplication Session
9: Vertical Integration Session
10: Franchising Your Business Session
11: Global Expansion Session
12: Buying Businesses Session
13: Public Ownership Session
14: Selling Your Business Session
15: Considerations for Family Succession